What Is Cybersecurity Like Today?
Cybersecurity has been and will continue to be an essential yet often invisible part of our everyday lives. The growth of the internet, digital services, online connectivity and the Internet of Things (IoT) has led to the exponential growth of the cybersecurity industry. Companies, government organizations and even individuals all rely on cybersecurity.
As hackers and threats online increase in their sophistication and strength, the cybersecurity industry needs to keep evolving and growing to keep up with these changes. As news of breaches and leaks continue to increase, communities have sprung up worldwide to talk about cybersecurity and discuss the latest trends in the industry to keep up. So naturally, interest in cybersecurity as a career has grown; everyone from fresh graduates to mid-career professionals are now looking to ride the wave.
According to a study done by theInfocomm Media Development Authority Of Singapore (IMDA), the cybersecurity industry will grow to reach US$889 million in 2022, and with 70% of that comprising of cybersecurity services.
Would you like to be part of this exciting new industry?
Navigating a Vast & Blooming Industry
Trying to begin your career in cybersecurity can often be confusing.
Questions such as 'Where can I go to learn cybersecurity?' or 'What do I need to learn first?' are common for individuals looking to begin their cybersecurity education. Similar to software engineering, one can pick up cybersecurity skills in a variety of ways – there are universities offering cybersecurity courses, online programmes, training organisations and, of course, self-learning.
Not only is deciding where to begin a daunting task, figuring out which area of cybersecurity to pursue first is also a feat in itself. There are many programmes in the market, all offering multiple configurations of cybersecurity education depending on job scope, industry roles, certifications, team colors and more. While this gives you more choice in terms of what you can do in the industry, it also makes it hard to choose where to begin.
Cybersecurity is a highly dynamic and vast industry, with multiple specialization options across different sectors and because of that, there are many options to pursue. Due to the nature of cybersecurity, there is no 'best path'. It depends on what area of cybersecurity you find yourself most interested in.
For instance, if you're drawn towards hacking and malware, being in the Red Team as a penetration tester or vulnerability assessor would be perfect for you. On the other hand, if you find defending against threats and different agents more enticing, sitting in the Security Operations Centre (SOC) as a Blue Team member is where you should be.
You may also find yourself playing management roles in the cybersecurity industry as aPurple, White, Green or Orange Team member whose jobs are to manage stakeholders within the company regarding digital security in a variety of ways.
Cybersecurity Roles & Job Scopes
We have listed the six most commonly identified teams below with the corresponding job scope and associated certifications. If you're new to Cybersecurity, researching into each job scope and certificate may be challenging and cumbersome. Hence, we highly recommend that you contact our Career Consultant who is dedicated to guide you through each step of the way from Career to Curriculum to Certification. Contact us at https://www.centreforcybersecurity.com/contact, or join our 1-hour 'Entering Cybersecurity' information session for free.
- Offensive Security
- Ethical Hacking
- Exploiting Vulnerabilities
- Penetration Tests
- Black Box Testing
- Social Engineering
- Web App Scanning
- CEH (Master only)
- Crest CPSA
- Crest CWAT
- CREST CWS
- CREST CMRE
- CREST CTIM
- Crest CRT
- Crest CCT
- CREST CCSAS
- CREST CSAM
- Defensive Security
- Infrastructure protection
- Damage Control
- Incident Response (IR)
- Operational Security
- Threat Hunters
- Digital Forensics
- Crest CPIA
- Crest CPTIA
- Crest CRIA
- Improved logging capability, working to standardize and priorities important events
- Better data for digital forensics and incident response cases
- Safer Change Management including integrity monitoring
- Full coverage monitoring including improved Antivirus and End Point Protection on systems
- Antivirus and EndPoint Protection on systems
- Blue Team Certifications
- CREST CNIA
- Facilitate improvements in detection and defense
- Sharpened the skills of blue and red team members
- Effective for spot-checking systems in larger organization
- Combination of Red and Blue team
- Inspire coders and architects to be more security conscious
- Benefit from current exposure to evolving security threats
- Offensive critical thinking included in builder’s intrinsic thought pattern
- Decrease in overall security bug count over time
- Either Red or Blue team
- Azure SEA
- AWS CSS
- AWS SAP
- GIAC ICS:612
- Crest CRTSA
- Provides audits on infrastructure
- Ensure compliancy with existing security policy
- Management of stakeholders and maintaining policies
Are There Prerequisites Before Entering Cybersecurity?
Another common question for those looking to enter the cybersecurity industry is 'What skills do I require before learning cybersecurity?' or 'Do I need to know to program?'.
The short answer is: it depends. Depending heavily on your career destination and the programme that you are applying for, some curriculums may offer introductory courses inPython, Linux and Windows fundamentals as part of their training.
At Centre For Cybersecurity, our XE Basics Course (also known as Beginners’ Course) equips all beginners with the necessary skillsets that will allow them to advance to more complex cybersecurity training. This allows people with no background in programming or cybersecurity to have a leg up in entering the cybersecurity market.
If you are looking for more information to get a better footing in cybersecurity,learning the fundamentals in networking,Linux and Windows will help build a solid foundation for your cybersecurity education. Below are some relevant resources that we have found:
Cybersecurity Foundation Resources
1. Networking Fundamentals
- For building general knowledge in networking fundamentals, check out https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/global/fi_fi/assets/docs/SMB_University_120307_Networking_Fundamentals.pdf
- Watch this YouTube channel for a comprehensive overview at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2D1o-aM-2s&list=RDCMUCK4ji45I-zxeWXAFKmu3p6Q&start_radio=1&rv=n2D1o-aM-2s&t=0
2. Linux Fundamentals
Learning with a Linux system by your side is always best to be familiar and explore commands and their piping.
- Free Linux Training (Note: some content is out of date but the overall course is relevant): https://linux-training.be/
- Linux fundamental by tryhackme to be used with their free hands-on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz-ybaXdlGU&list=PL0iJrrpaWpyW9FQqI_TMJiuGpLJrXGVvA
3. Windows Fundamentals
- Helpful resources: https://www.sos.wa.gov/_assets/library/libraries/projects/ita/moac_mta_98-349_2e-windows-os.pdf
- Practical hands-on training: www.hackthebox.com and www.tryhackme.com
Centre For Cybersecurity Singapore
Securing Your Future in Cybersecurity
Our mission at Centre For Cybersecurity is to secure the future of Cybersecurity personnel through top-notch care and guidance in training, certification and career fulfillment. Hence, we are fully committed to providing our students with an end-to-end cybersecurity programme that covers career roadmap planning, theoretical & hands-on training in the relevant areas, certification planning and job placement.
We seek to build the cybersecurity ecosystem in Singapore to be one of the top in the world and look forward to having you be a part of this up-and-coming industry.
Still Having Qualms About The Cybersecurity World?
We hope that you have found this article useful. If you like to enquire more on how to enter the cybersecurity industry in Singapore, feel free to contact us and our dedicated Career Consultant will guide you through each step of the way from Career to Curriculum to Certification, or join our 1-hour 'Entering Cybersecurity' information session for free.
Understanding the Role of AI in Cybersecurity for Your Digital Security
Importance of Cybersecurity Profession: Expertise and Career Advantages
Red Team vs Blue Team in Cyber Security: Understanding the Key Differences
Find out more about how we can help you secure your future in cybersecurity